Skip to main content

Bill Gates Bill's playlist The eight tracks Bill Gates would most want on a desert island










Microsoft founder Bill Gates talks in detail about his life to the BBC's Kirsty Young on this week's Desert Island Discs, on Radio 4 - from his schooldays , to his latest work with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to "get rid of" diseases that kill young children.






please feel free to share this interview on your blog  "as Bill would have wanted everyone to hear his thoughts and about the Gates Foundation"
Each castaway interviewed in the programme is asked to choose eight pieces of music, a book and a luxury item to take with them to a desert island.
Gates's choices are listed at the bottom of the page, after some highlights from the interview.




Disruptive child
At the age of 12, Gates explains, his parents sent him to see a psychologist.


"I was a bit disruptive. I started, early on, sort of questioning - were their rules logical, and always to be followed? So there was a tiny bit of tension there, as I was kind of pushing back. The [psychologist] they sent me to was very nice, and got me reading a lot about psychology and Freud and stuff like that... He convinced me that it was kind of an unfair thing that I would challenge my parents and I really wasn't proving anything. So by the time I was 14 I got over that, which is good because then they were very supportive as I started to really engage in writing software and learning different computer things."
Girls
Paul Allen, who would later become a co-founder of Microsoft, was a couple of years above Gates at school. Together they fixed the school scheduling software to ensure Gates was the only boy in classes of girls.

"Paul did the computer scheduling with me. Unfortunately for him he was two years ahead of me and he was off to college by then. So I was the one who benefited by being able to have the nice girls at least sit near me. It wasn't that I could talk to them or anything - but they were there. I think I was particularly inept at talking to girls, or thinking, 'OK - do you ask them out, do you not?' When I went off to Harvard I was a little bit more sociable. But I was below average on talking to girls."






Bill Gates in his younger yearsImage copyrightAlamy

Cars

Gates dropped out of Harvard aged 19 to start Microsoft with Allen.







"Paul and I had done enough programming things - including our high-school scheduling - that we saved some money. So we just funded [the company] ourselves and had enough to hire a few people... We got to make a lot of mistakes because it was all new. How do you go do business in Japan? I'm hiring people who are older than me, and I can't even rent a car because I'm not 21 years old. So it was really frantic."
At one point, Gates confesses, he lost his license for speeding.
"I'm well over that. But back then my first car was a Porsche 911. One of my few indulgences was that, at night, to think about our strategy, I'd go out and drive my Porsche up in the hills."

Holidays

"I worked weekends, I didn't really believe in vacations," Gates says of his early years at the helm of Microsoft.
"I had to be a little careful not to try and apply my standards to how hard [others at the company] worked. I knew everybody's license plate so I could look out the parking lot and see, you know, when people come in. Eventually I had to loosen up as the company got to a reasonable size."




Bill and Melinda Gates on Top 3 Myths of Poverty


Steve Jobs

"Steve really is a singular person in the history of personal computing in terms of what he built at Apple. For some periods, we were completely allies working together - I wrote software for the original Apple II. Sometimes he would be very tough on you, sometimes he'd be very encouraging. He got really great work out of people.




"In the early years, the intensity had always been about the project, and so then [when] Steve got sick, it was far more mellow in terms of talking about our lives and our kids. Steve was an incredible genius, and I was more of an engineer than he was. But anyway, it was fun. It was more of a friendship that was reflective, although tragically then he couldn't overcome the cancer and died."Marrying Melinda

Gates describes the first time he met the woman who would go on to become his wife.

"There was a Microsoft meeting in New York and I was the second to last one to come, and I sat down, and she was the last one to come. She sat down next to me and I asked her if she wanted to go out dancing that night, and she had some other people she was going off with. So then a few weeks later I saw her in the parking lot and I said, 'Hey could you go out in a couple weeks?' and she said, well that wasn't spontaneous enough for her."







Bill Gates looks at his wife Melinda during a press conference in Seattle in 1999Image copyrightGetty Images
Image captionBill Gates with his wife Melinda during a press conference in Seattle in 1999

Neither of them thought at first their relationship would become serious.

"I was still being fanatical... I was willing in my twenties and most of my thirties to say the job was the centre of my life. Therefore I wasn't going to get married or have kids. But I knew that eventually I wanted to, and she arrived at kind of the perfect time, and we fell in love. I had to think about it a little bit, but I said, 'Yeah I want to change my priorities.' And you know now we actually take quite a few vacations. I'm sure myself in my twenties would look at my schedule now and find it very wimpy indeed."
Giving back

Both Gates's parents were involved in charities, including the birth-control organisation Planned Parenthood.

"It still is controversial in parts of America, that's right. But my parents were both big believers in it. My dad was the head of that. So they set a very good example of being engaged in giving back."

Gates says that for him and his wife the big thing is getting rid of the diseases that kill children under five, and spending their money in the "most impactful way".

"I mean, you're not going to spend it on yourself. And we think only a small portion should go to our kids, so that they can have their own careers and make their own way. And so that leaves most of it for Melinda and I to work on how should it be spent for the most needy in the world," he says. "After a trip to Africa, we really started learning about disease... We were stunned to realise that for each $1,000 we gave, if we did it the right way, we could save a life."
The Bill Gates desert island playlist
The Jimi Hendrix ExperienceImage copyrightGetty Images



David Bowie and Queen - Under Pressure: "In my 20s and 30s, I worked a lot. But a few Fridays and Saturdays we'd go out and dance so this kind of reminds me of those disco days."



Willie Nelson - Blue Skies: "My wife Melinda and I love Willie Nelson. So as a surprise gift for her, I had him show up the night before we got married. We were on a beach in Hawaii and he kind of walked down the beach with his guitar and I said, 'Well here he is, let's have this guy sing some songs for us.'"


Ed Sheeran - Sing: "My kids, who are 19, 16, and 13, refresh my musical taste by tuning the radio or calling up songs on their phones. And so this is one that my 13-year-old, Phoebe, happens to like."



Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced: "Because I was younger [Paul Allen] would sometimes taunt me with the title of this song - Are You Experienced - because I hadn't gotten drunk or other various things, so this is one of our favourites."




U2 - One: "Paul told me that I should meet Bono, and I didn't prioritise it. We finally did get to meet and I was amazed how he had thought about [global health] read about it, and so started a partnership. He has been absolutely amazing."


The Beatles - Two of Us: "Steve [Jobs] was really into music and he loved the Beatles and so did I. And he actually mentioned the song, Two of Us, saying that was kind of like this journey we'd been on where we'd been competing and working together."



How Can Love Survive, from the Sound of Music: "Melinda and I both love the Sound of Music and as I met [investor and philanthropist] Warren Buffett, he and his first wife Susie sang a song from The Sound of Music. In fact this is one we'd never heard because it was in the Broadway musical and not in the movie. It's kind of a cute song so Melinda and I think of this as one of our favourites."


My Shot from Hamilton, the musical: "It's about a young person saying, 'Hey I'm going to take a risk - I'm going to get out there and try and do something new and different.'"



Further Reading

Boost for housing as government puts hundreds of acres of land up for sale

Purplebricks.com appoints Microsoft partner called Xamarin to develop property search Ap
Class War protest outside Kennington Road London High Street Estate Agents Reed and Rains 

Airbnb Sharing Economy Marks 4M UK Guests by Hosting Business Secretary

PURPLEBRICKS [LON:PURP] The Telegraph Questor share tip: 

Comparethemarket ready set go for Large IPO

Purplebricks.com interim results, good start, launches in house data sales, online market share continues

what next for zoopla realtor or zillow

What do online sales mean for Tesco and CountryWide PLC Retail 2016 ?

1 in 5 home insurance claims rejected and UK flooding insurance statistics 2015 

Right-to-buy rush pushes home loans to seven-year high: Loans totaling £220bn were handed out in 2015

Alex Chesterman CEO of Zoopla , Crude Oil price and the Markets, Stephen Morana CFO departs ZPG

Drug Lord Escobar’s Miami Home Demolished , mansion property of the devil dissapearing

How BlockChain may solve fraud in Real Estate property industry #CRE

Private palaces: Russia moves to hide property data 

Iconic Building Lincoln House [Former Maharajah Palace and US embassy ] sold to business tycoon $113m

Spectre of facing Spanish fraud trial: Sean Connery's wife accused of 5.5 million pound property tax swindle 

Wales hotel that was the scene of a quadruple murder has sold for £150,000

zoopla.co.uk #ZPLA comes out fighting bucking the FTSE 250 Market

Investors eye growing number of online UK estate agents

Government urged to use Bitcoin-style digital ledgers, could help issue land registry property title deeds

Royal Bank of Scotland to settle on US mortgages within Weeks 

Birmingham, Berlin and Hamburg are top of the property market as the capital is overtaken by cities such as Budapest and Istanbul

Bank of England's Carney says no timetable for rate rise , interest rates , buy-to-let

Euro Zone banking Oil price falls Iran sanctions lifted and Property Industry and Portals

Investment fund behind purplebricks.com acquire Property Developer operating in Ibiza

Competition and Markets Authority 2016 will be a very interesting year for CMA in all facets of competition within the property industry

Royal Bank of Scotland to settle on US mortgages within Weeks 

The snow balling woes of CountryWide PLC high street estate agency 

Prime Minister David Cameron pledges to transform sink estates @onthemarketblog 

How BlockChain may solve fraud in Real Estate property industry

UK house prices rose 9.5% in 2015, says Halifax 

More buy-to-let landlords searching for mortgages on cheaper properties + housing market shows no sign of slowing down winter months 

Aldi Lidl shoppers won't jump ship to Tesco Ground Hog Day / Tesco wants its money back

buying letting renting property and homes, will never be the same again 

New head of development joins leading online estate agency easy property + launching #CRE auctions

Bank of England volatility has extinguished any prospect of a rate rise in the near-future.on track for seven years of record low interest rates as global markets turmoil

Why UK Property Online Real Estate Agents really do have billon pound start up potential Says GOOGLE 

Bowie predicted the internet of things which can be applied to property industry today 
2016 year of Tech start Future is VERY BRIGHT from London to New York

Birmingham, Berlin and Hamburg are top of the property market as the capital is overtaken by cities such as Budapest and Istanbul 

more Countrywide plc disruption as chairman leaves largest UK high street estate agency

Countrywide PLC UKs largest Real Estate 

Agency - Alison Platt CEO Let The Battle Commence Online

UK's biggest estate agent Countrywide sees shares plunge 12% as shortage of properties for sale hits profits 

why wallpapering over the cracks won't help, Country Wide PLC 

countrywide PLC sees a direct threat from online real estate agents like for like

Comments